During the C19th, various publishers produced books every few years for each county, included in which were descriptions of the geography and history of each town and village in the county, along with  a list of the trades people. Picture is Henry Harriman's framesmith's factory on the Green mentioned in the 1894 Wright's gazetteer.  The following are extracts from some of these these gazetteers :-

1775 Gazetteer 3 years before Enclosure map. list of all freeholders or estate owned elsewhere by Hathern people.
1846 Whites Manor of Hathern purchased 1663 by Ambose Phillips. Main landowner C.M.Phillips also patron of church in which E.T.M.Phillips is rector. Wesleyan and General Baptist chapels. Free school headmaster James Attenborough (editor's note - this 4 years before National School built). Anchor Inn and Turn Inn and 3 Crowns. 2 hosiery manufacturers. Twells plumber. Bakers, boot and shoe makers, blacksmiths, butchers, farmers, joiners, shopkeepers, tailors, wheelwrights, carriers.
 1854 Melvilles Near Midland railway. E.T.M.Phillips rector. and one of 5 gentry. James Attenborough teacher. John Handfort maker of agricultural implements. Post office. Coal dealer at Zouch bridge.
1863 Gazetteer  Church restoration in 1861-2 in memory E.T.M.Phillipps. Rector now E.Smythies. rectory was built 1819. National school built 1850. Charity estate. Yearly doles. Mr Barnacle schoolteacher. 14 farmers.
 1877 Whites 1120 population of which 2/3 are framework knitters. Now a primitive methodist chapel. Co-operative store. Police officer. Hathern Station brick and tile manufacturer. Schoolmaster Henry Lammas. Smythies rector. Burrowes timber. Coddington chemist. Harriman and son framesmiths.
1880 Wrights  "Most of the inhabitants are framework knitters".
 1881 Kellys Population 1313.
1883-4 Wrights William Swift cow-keeper and curled hair manufacturer. Hathern Co-op and bakers, manager Mr. Mitchell. 
 1891 Kellys Hathern Turn famous for meeting of the hunt. Home of John Heathcoat. Liberal club
 1894 Wrights Salvation army meet in temperance hall built 1865. Dewdrop.
1899 Wrights Population 1131. Stained glass window in memory of Rev. Smythies 
1901-2 Bennetts Burrowes timber yard, Hathern Brick company, Vickers baker.
1908 Kellys School 193 children. teachers Fern and Quenby. Baptist ministers Foston and Vaughan. Rector Glenn. 

1912 Kellys

Landlords Benton, Cooper, Farrow.
1916 Kellys  Population 1200 in 1911. Chapman post office. Fern headmaster. Lawrance rector.
1941 Kellys Rector Samuel Skelhorn. Farmers Cotton, Groves, Harris,Moody, Oxby, Parker, Russell.
Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine