Houses - Tanner's Lane to Narrow Lane
Houses - Tanner's Lane to Narrow Lane and Cross Street
Street views and houses, some now long gone
19 The Leys (Leys Farm). A Walk Round Hathern building no.27- Unoccupied and part demolished, from 11/5/2016 a grade 2 listed building
Once a smallholding with a barn & cowsheds now demolished. Inside, old features remain. Age of house unknown but one beam is inscribed "Henry L 1668"
General Baptist Chapel, Anchor Lane, re-built 1880. Old Hathern In Pictures (page 26) and A Walk Round Hathern building 28
The original Chapel of 1840 was rebuilt in 1880 as this spacious 2 storey structure. Note part of an old building to right which is on several maps including the Enclosure Map of 1778
1960s view of an old house in Tanner's Lane, originally 3, later 2 dwellings. One served as the Surgery of Dr. Swan. A Walk Round Hathern number 29
Dr. Swan's Surgery door in Tanner's Lane
May Farm and Tanners Lane. Believed to be a farm from the early 1800s. Farming ceased around 1965 and the land was sold for housing. A Walk Round Hathern house 30
On the right of picture is Tanners Lane, on the left are houses built by Samuel Price Smith in "The Tanyard"
An aerial view of May Farm and surrounds, including Dr. Swan's old surgery (white building centre right).
The home of Bill & Sylvia Parker (you can see his Ford Zephyr). In the foreground is the Methodist Chapel and the next door cottage of Esther Brown, its caretaker.
Sale of Dr. Swan's Surgery in the ate 1960s
Roger Eamons investigating his ground floor fireplace, Tanner's Lane
Mrs Rose Spencer in a Tanners Lane garden. Behind her you can see a rare view of "Rookery Row" with stockiner's third floor windows.
Henson's or Cowperthwaite's? shop and Tea Rooms on the Round Bank, still thatched in 1948. The "W" sign points towards the nearest A.R.P. (Air Raid Precautions) Warden's Post. Old Hathern in Pictures page 29
Once 3 then 2 cottages by the1890s, see Hathern Remembered page 102. The TV aerial was installed by Neville Ball, said to have received some of the first TV transmissions in Hathern
Shop and Tea Rooms on Round Bank being demolished
Shop on the Round Bank, Tagline in newspaper article was "CONTRAST !" because of the old cottage with a new-fangled TV aerial.
Villagers on the "Round Bank" in Wide Street by the gate to Mrs. J. Exon's smallholding in 1920. From Loughborough Monitor October 1st 1976
Note the row of old houses leading off Wide Street, demolished for the building of the modern telephone exchange
The grassed area on the left is the Round Bank at the top of Wide Street. c. 1907-1917. Hathern Remembered page 106 and A Walk Round Hathern 20
Men are sitting on the circular bench round the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubillee tree (1897). Note the low level bungalow or house far left that has replaced the previous row of thatched cottages
William Dutton, butcher, in the 1900's outside his house on the 'Round Bank', Wide Street, (later home to the Saunders family). Dutton's slaughterhouse is on the right.
In the 1911 Census (see 'Residence' on this site) William, butcher on own account and wife Lizzie have three children at school, aged 12, 10 & 6 and share the house with William's brother and sister.
Looking down Wide Street from under the leaves of the Jubilee Tree.
Through a gap to the right of the white-washed houses can be seen part of the row of houses that extended back from the street behind Ernie Rossell's blacksmiths shop on what was once called Cumberland's Lane, now the site of Old Forge Close
Anchor Inn. 1890-1910. Hathern Remembered page 73 Maybe the 2nd and 4th chimneys (going north) are of building (oast house) behind Anchor ?
Round Bank looking down Wide Street. Old Hathern in Pictures page 10
The Jubilee Tree on right was planted to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. A newspaper article of 1898 suggested it had died and was presumably replaced
Greengrocer Mr. Thurman from Loughborough on one of his regular visits 1907. Round Bank, Wide Street. Old Hathern In Pictures page 33
Lady on right is Mrs. Pollard
The Round Bank and houses in Wide Street
Behind is garden wall in front of Mrs. Exon's house now demolished but the footprint of the old house can be seen in the front garden. Mrs. Exon ran a transport service
From Round bank, view down Wide Street. Note the old house with thatched roof on the left now replaced. Horse and cart is probably Mrs. J. Exon.
Round Bank, Wide Street, popular meeting place. Further Pictures of old Hathern page 16
Jubilee tree on right is in its early years. it was planted in 1897-8 following Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Note the road goes either side of the tree. Wm Rossell father, the village blacksmith made the origunal Jubilee seat
Wide street with entrance to Anchor Lane on the right. The roof on far left in the distance is the Co-op. The horse and dray are probably delivering coal. Further Pictures of old Hathern page 15
Wide Street looking uphill with Stone House in middle distance.Old Hathern In Pictures page 11
Stone House was one of the village farmhouses, and the home of the Harriman family. Later it was used as the base for the Goodacre transport business
Stone House, Wide Street. Grade II Listed building endowed by Christ's college Cambridge and Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII. A Walk Round Hathern number 35
Christ College still holds the deeds from 1502. Local tradition is that John Heathcoat lived here being married to the sister of his then business partner Samuel Caldwell, from Hathern
Stone House, Wide Street
Stone House, Wide Street before WW1. Possibly the oldest house in the village, parts dating back to the C14th.Further Picture of Old Hathern page 14
This was a farm until the 1920s, worked by the Harriman family. Shown outside are Miss Harriman and Mrs. Hood
Wide Street housebuilt in 1838 by Isaac Vickers, enlarged later to make room for a shop and a bakehouse. A Walk Round Hathern Building 34
In 1904 it becoming the Co-op butcher's shop, closing in the 1970s
Ernie Rossell's house in Wide Street
Georgian house in Wide Street. A Walk Round Hathern building 3
Built in about 1750. Building to rear has served as a stable, a coach house and a slaughterhouse. Former residents include Ernie Rossell, blacksmith. Hence the name of the adjacent Forge Close
Side view of house in Wide Street. Ernie Rossell lived here. Barn is alongside. From pic provided by past resident
Blacksmith's house, Wide Street
Ernest and James Rossell in Wide Street. Their blacksmith's shop is on the left
Children in Wide Street May 28th 1913. From Henton Collection No.304
Jutting out behind half-timbered house on the right is the blacksmith's forge, and behind that the low roof of Ernie Rossell's bike repair shop. Chimneys in background are of Ernie Rossell's house and the butcher's shop. On left hand side, the trees are in the Co-op orchard where Algie Miller kept his fowls (egg farm)
Charles Draycott at bottom of Wide Street. Old Hathern In Pictures page 12
Thatched cottage, front right, was demolished after WW2 to allow Anchor Lane to be widened for housing. Entrance to Elms is in distance
Herbert Allen, Manager, outside Co-op stores Wide Street built 1878. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 18 and Hathern at War page 10. Founded 1878, closed 1976
The small cottage on the left was enlarged in 1894 to become the Co-op bakery.
The Old Bakehouse, Wide Street. A Walk Round Hathern Building 31. The left hand side and upper story were added to the original building c.1900 to form the bakery
Using its own coke-fired oven, villagers would also bring in cakes etc. to be baked for a small charge. The bakehouse closed in 1950 and the Spencer family started an independent bakery on the main road which is still thriving
The Elms at the junction of Wide St. and Dovecote St., home of the Ashton family for many years. Old Hathern in Pictures page 13 and A Walk Round Hathern building 36
This estate of 7 acres and 2 other plots formed the basis of a thriving poultry farm. The associated barn on Dovecote Street was sold in 1981. Information from a Mr. S. Smith says it was built in 1760
The Elms Poultry Farm. Hathern Remembered page 71. Rookery Row can be seen in top right. Probably c.1965
Charles Ashton and his wife Elana moved to the Elms in 1920 and the estate consisted of 7 acres of land. His poultry business here and elsewhere thrived and his favourite breed was the White Leghorn
The Elms Poultry Farm from another angle.Hathern Remembered page 71
Lovely old cottage in Dovecote St, owned by Henry Smith and wife Mary (Frank Savage was their nephew). Where bottom of Old Way is now. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 9
This had a large orchard and was demolished, along with adjoining cottages, in about 1948
Dovecote Street barn formerly belonging to Elms Farm
Now 2 semi-detached residences. Has been used for a variety of purposes including a poultry shed, motor house, pigsties and stables. Building left of barn now demolished
The barn, Dovecote Street. A Walk Round Hathern building 3
C17th grade II listed. Around 1916, a basket maker lived on the site, making his wares from the rods that he cut from osiers (willow) growing by the River Soar
Dovecote Street house thought to have been built in the 1560s. A Walk Round Hathern building 38
A few years ago a pile of newsppaers in the house were found referring to the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815)
Aerial view including Dales farm, Hollytree Cottage, Victoria Terrace, The Manor House, Cross and School
Wesleyan Chapel, now the Village Hall. Old Hathern In Pictures page 27 and A Walk Round Hathern building 39
Built in 1864 and used as a chapel for 76 years, closing at start of WW2. During the war it was used for storage and was then converted to a Village Hall. 2 ladies are Elizabeth Gamble and Mary Price. Mrs.Price had previously kept a sweetshop in one of the adjoining cottages
Hathern Club, Dovecote Street. A Walk Round Hathern Building 40
Built in 1881 as a private house and acquired by the Hathern Liberal Club Company 5 years later for 3275 "a place of resort for Liberals" - members could not sell their shares to Conservatives. In 1977 the "Liberal" tag was dropped.
Meadow farmhouse, Dovecote Street. A Walk Round Hathern building 45
Built c.1800, this was until 1969 on of the working farms. Its farmland was accessed by a gate at the end of Gladstone Street. sold 1970 at the Anchor Inn in 5 lots totalling 39 acres
Dovecote Street. This terrace first appears on the 1884 OS map. Dovecote Street then extended up to the main road, (now Wide Lane). This terrace was not on the 1824 Rates map
Dales Farm, a grade II listed building built c.1750. A Walk Round Hathern building 43
The farm was worked for many years by the Russell family who provided milk to the village, in churns carried by a handcart which was measured out to customers by jugs. Now a private residence
Dales Farm.George Groves was the farmer in the late C19th. He died in 1898 and in 1911 Frederick, once a servant on the farm, and wife Mary Ann are the occupiers(but not freeholders).
Dales Farm winter scene. A separate article tells the history of the farm
The Manor House, Narrow Lane, a grade II listed building, dating at least from the C18th. A Walk Round Hathern number 4
Once in the hands of the March Phillipps de Lisle family, until sold to Joseph Widdowson in 1879
Timber-framed and thatched house at bottom of Narrow Lane
Known as the Manor House, it is one of the oldest houses in Hathern. Further Pictures of Old Hathern (page 8
Manor House Narrow Lane. From Records Office
1972 photo of The Manor House, Narrow Lane. from Leicester Records Office Early C18th wing is on left
Victoria Terrace, built 1880, at the bottom of Narrow Lane, with its well-remembered Monkey Puzzle tree. The property in the distance is Yeoman's House. Old Hathern in Pictures page 13
Hollytree Cottages, children in Narrow Lane May 28th 1913. A Walk Round Hathern building 45. From Henton Collection
This grade II listed house was created from 3 cottages in the 1990s. On an oak lintel is inscribed "AC 1666
Narrow Lane. These were considered to be the better quality houses of the late C19th. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 7
Lizzie Upton in front of house in Narrow Lane. Further Pictures of Old Hathern page 6
"Granny Watts" in front of her house in Narrow Lane. She was in service at the Elms and married William Watts. She was a formidable character and died in the 1950's, aged 96
Former stockinger's shop, Narrow Lane. A Walk Round Hathern building 46
In the rear garden of Hollytree Cottages (No. 34) just visible from the road, a good example of the shops once found all over the village. Those remaining are mostly hidden from view.