Rev. Ison's History of Hathern
You can read the full text here. The book starts off with early history about ownership of land and follows with mention of famous names associated with Hathern including John Aylmer, Bishop of London and tutor to Lady Jane Grey. There are mentions of the mediaeval stained glass windows and the possible impact of The Plague in 1645. Further topics covered include the 1777 Enclosure, and the establishment of a Sunday School. The full and productive life of Rev Phillipps is described, and a defence against the idea of "wicked Hathern". The final pages give poulation figures from 1565 to 1891 and a list of Rectors from 1220 to himself (Arthur James Ison) in 1923.
All except the last page (a list of rectors) are from a reprint by Dave Dover (reprint) :Keeping Local History Alive. The original book was written in 1927.
Some details of Mr Ison were provided in the newspaper obituary of his wife Edith May Ison, herself an accomplished pianist, who served in women's branch of the Royal Army Corps in WW1 and was a founder member of the Hathern branch of the Mother's Union. Arthur Jesse Ison was Hathern Rector 1923-1931 before moving to the same post in Hoton and Burton-on-the-Wolds. He mat Edith when they were both were in uniform - he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers and then an officer in the Royal Horse Guards. After ending military service he was curate at Stockton-on-Tees and Loughborough before taking up his post in Hathern where his wife did a great deal of community work and was much loved by children. Mr. Ison died in 1958 when Rector of Caythorpe.
Added 22/01/2016. Mrs. Ison wrote to Mr. Savage (Hathern History Society) from Caythorpe describing how she was cleaning up all of the family relics. She also sent a book by Rev. Phillipp's which was a sermon he gave in Westminster Abbey. (Editor's note : I have not come across it). Her recollections of Hathern Rectory where she and her husband lived included the Rev. Phillipps commemorative tea service and a lead bath with ebony trimmings and a most elaborate pan - solid mahogany with a willow pattern bowl. This was before the Rectory was modernised and a whole wing demolished. She mentions the Rectory dilapidation report. The rector had to pay his own repairs.