19 the Leys. Saved from demolition
On the left is a photo of 19 The Leys as it was a few years back (from our gallery of streets and houses). Since then new houses have been built on the quite large area of land that it occupied and part of the house has been demolished. Due to its historic interest and at the request of the local history society the house now has a listed status (grade 2 list entry 1435555) which prevents further demolition though it remains empty. You can see here the Design Access and Heritage Statement produced by Phiip E.Heath in 2018. This is the current OS map that accompanied the article. It contains many illustrations of the property and an OS map of the plot in 1899. Of particular interest is the section on the history of the property in which it is described as a well-preserved early to mid C17th timber-framed house. Following the picture are notes made and photos taken when the building and land was still occupied and complete.
Below are more photos and notes produced a few years back when the house and land were still in their 'original' state.'Barbara Sheffield (photo below) lived there since 1952. Her Dad was well known character Bill Sheffield. Bill’s sister was Lucy who became Lucy Parker and then Lucy Oxby. The Oxbys and Parkers were farmers and between them at various times owned Moors Farm and May Farm. A previous occupant was Grace Miller who “got married from there” and went on to live at the bottom of Shepshed Road. Property has always been a smallholdoing, though most of it is now lawn. Original barns remain unchanged. In the 1950s young lads learning instruments for Hathern Band, practiced in the cowshed, until it was claimed that the noise stopped the cows from producing milk. These included Peter Clifton, Ray Parker and David Bowley. Even the chain and ring to tie the bull are still in the wall of the cowshed. Inside the house the old beams and small doorways remain as does the original uneven floor upstairs. 2 wells have been filled in. In parts the beams are as low as 5’3””. Upstairs on one of the beams is “Henry” followed by, “1” or “L”, and “1668”. Downstairs there is “the dairy”, a sort of larder, though the steps which led down to the stone thrall on which pigs were salted has been filled in".
Photos taken before new houses.
Editors note : In Sept 2019 following exchange of emails, a descendant of the Hutchinson family who owned and occupied the house many years ago was able to visit the house. Look for plots 7 and 8 on the Rates map of 1824.